I’ve always been pretty crazy about vegetables. Even as a kid, I only had a few veggies I wouldn’t eat! But I think that it can be pretty hard to get enough servings of vegetables every day. In an effort to eat more greens, I’ve been buying kale at my local farmers market. Kale makes a great addition to romaine lettuce in a salad, and tastes fabulous in stir fry dishes. I even sneak it into spaghetti! It’s yummy stuff.
I do think that kale can be kind of hard to get used to. It’s not a sweet veggie, which can put some people off when they first try it. But if you try to keep sneaking it in, I bet you’ll start to love it! When I first tried kale (only a couple of years ago, I’m a recent fan!), I decided to make kale chips–it was something I’d seen on Pinterest, and people raved that they were “as good as potato chips.” I thought to myself, “I’ll be the judge of that,” and I whipped up a crispy, salty batch. I ate the whole batch within a couple of hours.
While I love kale chips, and I love bringing them as a snack for lunch, I hate using my oven in the summer. It’s hard enough to keep the house cool, am I right? Don’t fear, kale lovers: I’ve found that using a skillet works just as well as the traditional oven method!
Stove-top Kale Chips
- A few stalks of kale, torn into large bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- pinch of salt
1. Pour 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in your skillet, depending on how much kale you’re cooking. You don’t want too much, just enough to coat your kale lightly. Don’t turn on the stove yet!
2. Add your kale pieces to the pan. Using your hands, massage the oil into the kale.
3. Add a dash of salt.
4. Cook kale on medium-low until crispy, stirring occasionally. When the kale reaches your desired crispy-ness, remove from heat and allow to cool.
5. Snack away! Go ahead, try not to eat the whole batch in one sitting. I dare you.
I hope you love this easy recipe. Do you have any good ways of incorporating more greens into your diet? I know a lot of people love green smoothies, although I’ve never been able to get myself to do that. Something about the color freaks me out a little bit. I also kind of prefer to eat my food, rather than drink it. I don’t know, maybe I’m weird!