Memorial Day often marks the beginning of summer, and while my summer break from grad school won’t start until mid-June, I’m already making a summer reading list. No surprise, I have a TON that I want to read (I’m already up to 20 books — yeah, right). I love reading in the sun, and I always bring a good book to the pool with me in the summer. If you’re looking for some good books to dive into this summer, whether you’re laying by a pool or a beach or even on an airplane, here are a few suggestions!
1. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling — I picked up this book because I have an undying love for The Office, and Kelly Capoor was easily one of my favorite characters. Mindy Kaling is a comedic goddess, and her book really delivers. Laugh-out-loud funny, quick and easy to read, and you can really hear Kaling’s voice as you read!
2. Creative Block by Danielle Krysa — This is just a really fun book to flip through. It compiles brief interviews, examples of art, and tips for getting out of the “creative block” from over 50 artists. Whether you’re just looking for some new art inspirations, or some ideas for experimenting, this is the book.
3. Just Checking by Emily Colas — Colas’ memoir is really unique, because it’s a compilation of poems that uncover her struggle with OCD. It’s eye-opening, heartbreaking at times, and gripping. And it’s brutally honest. Really a great read!
4. Bossypants by Tina Fey — I just started reading this one this weekend, and I already love it. It’s entertaining and honest, and I relate so much to the awkward teenager/young adult Fey was. 30 Rock is one of my favorite shows, and learning about Fey’s life makes the show even more enjoyable! Love it.
5. 100 Unforgettable Dresses by Hal Rubenstein — Not much to read in this book (although each dress has a description and a little history about it or its owner), but it is just so much fun to flip through! There are really some amazing gowns, and it was really neat to read about them. Very drool-worthy!
These are just a few good reads to pack in your pool bag this summer, if you try any of them I hope you find them as enjoyable as I have! Happy Memorial Day weekend.