I’ve been on a green-smoothie kick this summer, and why not? They’re a healthy breakfast option that keeps me full until lunch, and isn’t hard on my stomach early in the morning (I’m one of those people who doesn’t wake up hungry, and my stomach can’t tolerate a lot of protein right away). Plus, I love that I can get another serving of veggies in, which is kind of hard to do at breakfast!
Anyway, after a few days of trying different combinations, I’ve finally perfected the perfect smoothie. The cool thing, is that you can substitute any greens (lettuce, kale, spinach, etc.) and fruits (berries, apple, melon, pineapple, etc.) with the base. So you can make your smoothie just how you like it!
Now all of you out there who just scoffed and muttered, “Psh, ain’t nobody got time for that!” I feel you. Mornings are pretty much a hot mess for me as I’m scrambling to get my day started or rush out the door, so I get that you don’t have time to blend up the perfect smoothie in the morning. Here’s the magic of the green smoothie: I make mine at night, with 2 large servings. So in one 5 minute blending session, I have 2 smoothies for the next 2 mornings. Magic! I find that my smoothies seem to last well in the fridge for a couple of days, but you could even freeze one for later if that works better for you!
Ok, here’s my perfect green smoothie recipe (makes 2 large smoothies):
- 2 cups liquid – I combine 1 cup coconut or almond milk with 1 cup water, but you could come up with any combination!
- 1-2 cups greens – it depends on what you use and your preferences. I usually go with about 2 cups of kale, spinach, or lettuce when I’m in a pinch and don’t have time to get to the store
- 1-2 cups frozen banana – I don’t usually measure, I just eyeball it. Also, it makes it easier to slice up bananas and freeze them in advance!
- 2 cups frozen berries (or whatever fruit you want!) – right now I’m using Costco’s Triple Berry Blend bag with blackberries, rasberries, and blueberries. You could use any fruit, fresh or frozen!
- Optional: 2-3 Tbsp chia seeds
Instructions: Put the liquids in the bottom of your blender, then the greens, then the fruits. If you’re adding chia seeds, throw them in there! And blend until all ingredients are combined. You can pour your smoothie mixture into 2 large glasses and keep them in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to eat them.
Do you have a perfect smoothie recipe? Let me know if you try this recipe, and if it works for you! Happy eating!