Something I try to do in my life is give as much as I can. I believe that serving the community, trying to do good in this world, is so, so important. I feel like if you do good, you live good. So I’m always looking for ways I can volunteer or give back. Today I’m sharing a story about something I did recently that I feel really good about, as well as some ideas for any of you out there that want to give back, too!
When I got home from school this summer, I decided I wanted to donate blood. It’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was in high school, but I always had an excuse not to do it. So this summer, I decided I was committed. Finally, this September, I talked my mom into registering for a mobile blood drive with me. I was so nervous, you guys! Needles don’t bother me, but being in that little cramped bus and not knowing how giving blood would affect me…I was anxious! But I really didn’t have anything to worry about. It was so easy and the workers were so nice, and I felt so happy after I did it! Only 30 minutes out of my life, and knowing my donation could help somebody who really needs a transfusion…that’s amazing.
Ideas for how you can give back:
- Donate blood. Not everybody can or will want to do this, but if you can, I would definitely try it at least once! You could help someone who desperately needs a transfusion to live! When I did, I got this awesome pink bandage:
- Round up at the cash register. I try to do this as much as possible, especially if it’s a cause that I really believe in. First of all, I think even the littlest amount adds up and makes some sort of difference. Secondly, I hate having coins rolling around in my wallet! So it’s a win-win.
- Volunteer. Maybe you love walking dogs at your local shelter, serving meals at a soup kitchen, or even helping out at a local event. There are always opportunities to volunteer if you look for them. Check in your local area to see if there are any upcoming events for more ideas (helping neighbors clean their yards for fall, event staff at a 5k, etc.)
- Donate old glasses. I use my glasses for a very long time (at least 3 years per prescription!), but when I’m able to get a new pair, I always try to donate the oldest pairs. Most optometry offices or places where you can buy glasses have a little donation box inside, so it’s pretty easy to just drop your old pairs in there and help somebody who really needs glasses.
- Participate in food drives. This time of year, it seems like there are a TON of food drives to choose from! Whichever one you choose, you’re doing a good thing. Right now, the ladies over at A Beautiful Mess are actually doing a virtual food drive which is both creative and wonderful. I’m definitely going to participate in that one. Last month, I participated in Naked Juice’s Drink Good Do Good campaign, which donates up to 500,000lbs of fruits and veggies to Americans in need! Here’s my dorky fruit/veggie selfie (appropriately captioned “Helloooooo….It’s me”:
- Take a service trip. I’ve never been on a service/mission trip (mostly because I’m not religious, so I haven’t been involved in anything like that), but it’s something that I’d really like to do someday. I have this idea that maybe someday, I’ll have the opportunity to take my skills as an Occupational Therapist to another country for a service trip, offering pro bono OT services for people who don’t have access or can’t afford the services. It’s good to have dreams, and this is one I really hope I can reach someday!
These are just a few simple ideas of easy ways to give back, there are TONS out there and this list is by no means exhaustive! I truly believe that being involved in the community and giving back is so important. Get yourself, your families and loved ones, involved. Get out there, do what you can, put as much good out into the world as you can! If you put all that positive energy into the world, only good things can come from it.
Okay, thanks for letting me geek out about volunteering and giving back today. Happy weekend, everyone, and GO BRONCOS!