After a long and stressful week at my OT Fieldwork (read: internship), there’s nothing that makes me happier than loading up my towel and flip flops, slathering on some SPF 30, and heading to the closest beach to lay in the sun. It’s the thing I’ve enjoyed most about living temporarily in Florida–I just can’t get enough. Beach bum at heart, for sure. The weather is starting to get warmer here, and in my last couple of weeks in Florida I’m trying to make the most of my time and sit in the sand as much as possible! Here are some photos I took at the beach last weekend:
A lot of people ask me, “you go to the beach alone?” While it’s probably more fun to go with friends or family, beach bumming is one activity I’m perfectly content doing by myself. All I need is some good music on my phone, and I can spend hours laying in the sun or wading in the waves.
It’s safe to say that I’ve been loving my time in Florida so far. Almost every weekend so far I’ve gone to the beach, sitting in the sand and enjoying the sunshine. Even if it’s cold, I’m pretty much always at the beach.
Do you ever feel like you forget something when you go to the beach? I definitely have had my share of those moments–you get all the way there and realize you’ve left your towel at home. Face palm.
The last couple weeks, I’ve gotten better at packing all my essential beach day items. Today I’m sharing what’s in my beach bag:
- Sunscreen – as much as I love sitting in the sun, I also know how important it is to protect my skin from burns and UV rays. SPF 30 works pretty well when I’m looking to get a little tan, and SPF 50 is what I reach for if I’m going to be out all day.
- Comfy flip-flops – I love Sanuk flip-flops. They’re so soft and comfy.
- Headphones – A perfect day at the beach includes listening to music. Right now I’m loving Cage the Elephant and Florence and the Machine (as always).
- Snacks – Even when I bring lunch, I like to pack a few snacks in my beach bag. I like granola bars because they keep me full, and the Oats N Honey crunchy type is my favorite.
- Chapstick – Baby Lips Dr. Rescue medicated chapstick in Coral Crave is the best.
- Sunglasses – These Urban Outfitters Emma sunglasses are everything. They have a great shape, and I love the oversized frames.
So there you have it, my beach bag essentials! Not pictured, some other things I always bring with me: extra clothes for warmth, lots of water, and my phone for taking loads of pictures.