Hi, you guys! I’ve missed this little corner of the internet lately, and I feel like I always start these posts with an apology for my lengthy absences away. I don’t have any good excuses, just that life has been particularly busy and I haven’t been spending my free time on my computer. *shrugs shoulders in defeat*
I wanted to talk about the biggest makeup change I’ve made in the past 3 weeks, and it’s a biggie.
I stopped wearing foundation 3 weeks ago.
That might not sound like a big deal, but to me it really is. I started wearing foundation in early high school because I started breaking out pretty badly as a teenager. My skin has always been a sensitive topic for me, and I’ve always been too embarrassed to let people see me without makeup. And even as a 20-something, my skin isn’t the best, and it’s something I’m still a bit sensitive about. My pores seem like craters, and I spend lots of time trying different products and face masks trying to help soothe my poor skin. But the last 3 weeks, I gave up my foundation (right now I’m just using a concealer on red spots or any broken out spots), and I’m so happy with how I feel without it.
The cool thing is, my skin is actually looking better than it did when I was wearing foundation daily. I think maybe I have sensitive skin, and it doesn’t like a bunch of products on it? Not sure. But I’m feeling pretty excited about it.
I’m not going completely makeup-free, of course. I still fill my brows in (I just started using a new product that I’m kind of obsessed with now!), I still wear mascara and sometimes eyeliner. And I usually put a little blush on so I don’t look so pale. You guys, I need summer weather and to be outside more. My winter skin is PALE. I never knew how pale I could be until I started working!
Anyway, I’m pretty excited about this change. Have any of you ever tried going without foundation for a period of time?
My relationship with makeup started a little later than some; I was one of those girls who really didn’t touch the stuff until 9th grade. And oh, man, did I ever need somebody to teach me how to use it well back then. Over the years, I’ve worn various amounts of makeup and tried out different products and “beauty trends,” and I feel like I’ve finally found the right blend at the ripe old age of 23. Hey, I had to get there some time, right? (:
I thought today I would share my daily makeup routine with all of you! I prefer a more natural look, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving the house bare-faced, either. Here’s what my beauty process looks like:
One: Wash, Tone, Moisturize
I have sensitive skin, so I love this Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser to wash my face when I first get up. I follow that up with a swipe of Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner on my face and neck.
My daily moisturizer is this Olay Complete “All Day Moisturizer” with SPF 15. It doesn’t make my skin oily, and it’s very smooth and silky. You only need a teeny dab to get the job done. If I know that I’m going to be out in the sun for more than half an hour, I put on some sunscreen meant for faces with a higher SPF value (at least 30). I really believe in the power of sunscreen–not only does it prevent sunburn, but it can protect your skin against early aging. I sound like I’m giving a lecture, but please please wear sunscreen! Your skin will thank you down the road.
Two: The Typical Day
- Maybelline Coverstick Concealer in Light Beige – I pretty much always have a blemish or uneven spot to cover up. This coverup stick is effective and doesn’t seem to inflame or anger the blemishes, which is good!
- Pur Minerals 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Powder in Light – I’ve been faithfully using this foundation for years, and while I’ve really loved this product, I’m going to be looking for a new foundation once I run out of my powder. My skin is much clearer than it used to be in high school and undergrad, and I’m ready to move on to a liquid foundation that makes my skin more dewy than matte. But I would highly recommend Pur Minerals–great coverage, very light feeling on your skin.
- L’Oreal Visible Lift Blur Blush in Soft Peach – This blush is amazing. Cream blush all the way!
- Almay Intense I-Color liquid eyeliner in Brown Topaz – I recently started using this eyeliner and I couldn’t be happier with it. It’s easy to apply, lasts all day without smearing, and the brown topaz color isn’t so intense or dark. I love it.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills eyebrow powder in Dark Brown and Clear Brow Gel – Filling in my brows is one of the most important steps of my makeup routine. Without it, I feel like my eyebrows look uneven and splotchy.
Three: The Occasional Products
- Model Cosmetics bronzing powder in Shimmer – Some days I feel really pale and like I have a very flat complexion (hello, winter!), so I like to dust a *tiny* bit of bronze under my cheekbones to add depth. Helpful hint: after putting bronzer on the brush, give it a good tap to shake off excess powder.
- Clinique High Impact Mascara in Black – Recently I’ve moved away from wearing mascara every day. My lashes are really long, and I feel like they look too intense when I wear mascara during the day. When I first started wearing mascara in high school, people actually asked me if I was wearing falsies. Yikes. But anyway, I really like this mascara on occasion.
So that’s my basic day-t0-day makeup routine! It works well for me, only takes me about 10 minutes to complete. If I ever woke up really, really late and didn’t have time for all of it, I’d make sure to use coverup, a little pressed powder, and fill in my eyebrows. Those three are a must for me.